Author Note: This means picking tank mates can be a little bit trickier because you can’t rely on them to stay in one part of the tank. 1. As you can see from the photo above where this adult specimen is housed with a Jack Dempsey cichlid, they are great with a variety of tank mates. Jul 7, … The most important thing to consider is the size of the other fish when compared to the Jack Dempsey Cichlid. Colors variations include red, white, pink, orange and a mixture of these colors. The Jack Dempsey fish is one of the most popular freshwater aquarium fish. Thread starter NthPvttucker; Start date Jul 7, 2011; Forums. The biggest difference between the two is that male Jack Dempsey fish tend to be much more aggressive towards one another and towards other fish. Fish of the Month, Pet of the Month. I'm a littler overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of cichlid breeds, as well as how careful you have to be with setting up compatible tank mates. Most fish will tolerate Jacks and vice versa. There are smaller goldfish, such as the fancy goldfish which is not ideal to have together with a Jack Dempsey Cichlid. They will often claim a cave first and be very aggressive to other tank mates that swim near its home. All Rights Reserved. (i have a 6 foot 125 gallon tank for when their larger) Was just looking for some ideas for Tank Mates. Hiya I'm hoping next year to get a 105 gallon tank for either a single EBJD or a pair. Thanks! The size of the community tank must be appropriate for the number of Species being kept s… , or maybe a pair of jack dempseys ? Key features: Large hump that will form on the forehead of the males. Are there fish with similarly nice color that do better with loaches (I really love loaches). Jack Dempseys grow in an odd way, as about 90% of their size will be achieved in roughly 2 years. I'm a littler overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of cichlid breeds, as well as how careful you have to be with setting up compatible tank mates. Jack dempsey Fish Tank Size. Breeding: Red Devil Cichlids are monogamous. Let’s go over some of the most crucial jack Dempsey fish care tips right now so you can keep your cool looking fish happy and healthy. convict cichlids ? Although blue Cichlasoma is calm, they remain predators. On average, if you have a large tank, feed them the right food, and ensure that the water conditions are ideal, your average electric blue Jack Dempsey fish can live for up to 10 years, or as little as 7 years, with slightly over 8 years being the average lifespan. If there is enough room, they will all get along just fine. Contests including the Tank of the Month, Males or Females? | Privacy Policy | Terms of use, covered a detailed Goldfish care guide here, the different types of Angelfish on this article), How to Hatch Brine Shrimp Eggs Without Air Pump, Why is Aquarium Driftwood So Expensive? Anubias , Java Fern, and Vallisneria provide great hiding cover for them and root deep into the substrate. Although a very hardy fish, the Jack Dempsey will do best with plenty of tank space and peaceful tank mates. If you will be keeping a pair of this species, a 100-gallon tank will give them enough room with plenty of spaces to hide and swim. One second they might be near the surface, and the next they’ll be swimming around with the bottom-feeders . *Awarded Answer If you buy a group of cichlids that are young and all the same size, and only get 1 of each (preferably all males), you could keep some of the tougher cichlids with a Jack Dempsey (JD). Subfamily: Cichlasomatinae 7. The last Dempsey that I kept was surprisingly one of the most accommodating fish I’ve ever had. This video is a care guide and species profile on the Jack Dempsey. A tank with the size of 180 x 60 x 60 cm cannot be said to be a minimum though as the tank with this size is actually better for Midas cichlid. Generally speaking, the Jack Dempsey Cichlid and the angelfish get along just fine. Their gold and black stripes are really nice to look at. I am thinking a large tetra species or Molly fish (I adore the dalmatian Molly in my brackish tank) and yoyo loaches? A clean, pristine tank is what makes us tick. We are a family friendly community with an incredible resource of information for fish owners and enthusiast alike. Genus: Rocio 8. The Jack Dempsey Cichlid is fairly aggressive and likes to pick on smaller fish. Jack Dempsey Tank mates. How to Keep Jack Dempseys and Oscars in the Same Tank 1. The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey cichlid Rocio octofasciata cf. Space is important to fish, and being crowded only increases aggression amongst already aggressive cichlids. Tank Mates for Electric Blue Jack Dempsey? Get the newsletter for bi-weekly updates on news & events in the Aquascaping world. If you will be keeping a pair of this species, a 100-gallon tank will give them enough room with plenty of spaces to hide and swim. Here's a video of how JDs live, and the kind of fish they share waters with in nature. Platy. ok ive often been asked at work, and online how to tell the sex of a Jack Dempsey. The pleco can grow up to 12 inches long, which means that the Jack Dempsey Cichlid will definitely not attack it. Jack Dempsey are large, aggressive fish. But tankmates are not impossible at all. July 17, 2018 by mod. A 55-gallon will only just cut it, and many would say that even that is not large enough, that a 90-gallon is needed. Jack Dempsey fish tank mates can be Oscars, firemouth cichlids, kissing gourami, koi, angelfish, cave tetras and green terror. Jack Dempsey Tank Mates. A quick video of how to care for Jack Dempsey cichlid fish with tips on breeding, diet, aggression, size, and tank mates. Electric Blue Jack Dempsey tank mates? Jack Dempsey cichlids are an aggressive species of fish that needs plenty of territory. *Potential tank mates: Oscars, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Plecos, Armoured Catfish. My ph sits around 7.4 and my Gh 100-110 ppm. The species has got Rocio name by the name of its describer’s wife; in Spanish “rocio” means “dew” and indicates the presence of sparklet-spots in the fish coloring.Specific name of the fish “octofasciata” comes from Latin words “octo” (eight) and “fascia” (a belt or a stripe) and it is translated as “eight-striped”.In fact the fish has definitely more than eight stripes on its body. 14. So, as long as you have enough room, you can easily keep males and females together. They grow up to 6 inches in length, so the Jack Dempsey Cichlid will not be a threat to them. Now that we have talked about the Jack Dempsey Cichlid, let’s talk about some ideal tank mates for them. Jack Dempsey cichlids are an aggressive species of fish that needs plenty of territory. The Jack Dempsey naturally occurs in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala and Belize, although it has been introduced — or escaped — to other areas with year-round warm climates. Get a Big Tank. Hop on the list to get them when we start sendin'. The fish i want the most is an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. As adults, Jack Dempsey cichlids will be between 8 and 12 inches long. Rasboras are very hardy, resilient, and easy to take care of fish. Their large size, combined with their aggressive territoriality, means they must have a large amount of space. The Jack Dempsey fish is one of the most popular freshwater aquarium fish. A Jack Dempsey would need a tank of at least 55 gallon (208.20 litres, 45.80 Imperial gallons) and a bigger one for more. A Jack Dempsey would need a tank of at least 55 gallon (208.20 litres, 45.80 Imperial gallons) and a bigger one for more. Jack Dempsey can be kept both single or in a large group. Jack dempsey Fish Tank Size. (previously Cichlasoma octofasciatum) is considered to be one of the most beautiful freshwater aquarium fish.The adult displays a magnificent blue coloration, and is definitely one of … Also, their size keeps them safe from the jaws of the Jack Dempsey Cichlid. But this doesn’t mean that they cannot coexist with other tank species like the Oscar fish, but it simply means that they should be kept by experienced tank keepers and people who know what they are doing. The common name for the Jack Dempsey may make you think that this fish is a bruiser. They will often claim a cave first and be very aggressive to other tank mates that swim near its home. If both Convicts are male that … Jack Dempsey fish, if you have a male and a female, and the tank conditions are right, can breed fairly often. Aquascape Addiction is the product of a group of aquarists that care about the passion, art, and hobby of Aquascaping. These cichlids stay in the lower and middle levels of the tank. Separate your smaller fish from your Jack. Generally speaking, Tetra fish would be too small to house with a Jack Dempsey Cichlid and would normally get attacked and eaten. Possible tank mates for an electric blue Jack Dempsey. Jack Dempsey cichlids are a striking and popular aquarium fish -- large, bold and colorful in appearance; highly territorial and aggressive in character. Family: Cichlidae 6. Ive got a 29 gallon set up with one small juvenile Jack Dempsey and a medium size pleco. As my name suggests, I love pictus catfish. They can get quite evil when they spawn. For blue Dempsey, compatibility with fish of equal sizes is not a problem. if you stick with some of our suggestions for jack dempsey tank mates then you should be fine! Because of the Jack Dempsey’s nature, you will want to consider their tank mates very carefully. I need fish that get alone with electric blue jack Dempsey’s. As said before, the full-grown Jack can reach 10″ in length. The ultimate care guide for Betta Fish, everything you need to know and more! Rocks are also important for Cichlid's, we have covered them in detail here. Now, there are various kinds of goldfish, not all of which are ideal to keep with a Jack Dempsey Cichlid. Jack Dempsey Tank Mates. You might also like our post on aquarium sumps and refugiums which you can find here. Jack Dempsey cichlids prefer a tank no smaller than 48 inches, or 50-gallon tank. They also prefer lots of caves and driftwood which they can hang out in and swim through. They get 6 inches and I don't think a military jet could catch them. Jack Dempsey Tank Mates? You are using an out of date browser. So, if you have a good tank with males and females, expect lots of breeding to occur and lots of fish fry to be born. Jack Dempsey By OutlierForLife (Flickr) The aggressive nature of Jack Dempseys can be quite restrictive when looking for tank mates, but that does not mean there aren’t some good options out there. However, male Jack Dempsey fish are usually quite aggressive towards each other, so keeping makes together should be avoided, unless you have ample amount of space to ensure that they don’t bother each other. Topic: What are good tank mates for an electric blue jack Dempsey? We cover out top 10 best Jack Dempsey Cichlid tank mates along with some helpful information so you can find the right companions for your tank. They are fairly peaceful, they are easy to feed, and pretty easy to take care of too. This is a very peaceful fish that will definitely not attack the Jack Dempsey Cichlid. Undecided on that at the moment. Only house your Jack Dempsey with fish that are similar in size and aggression. Unless you want them to end up as a meal, don’t place peaceful fish, such as tetras, or invertebrates, such as freshwater snailsand shrimp, in the same tank as J… They do best in schools of 4 or 6, which you will have to keep in mind. I am thinking a … This simply means that the male takes only one female as his mate. These guys like a big tank, just like the Jack Dempsey Cichlid, and they like to eat pretty much the same foods too. Tank mates? MFK Member. Dang! Jacks are named after world heavyweight boxing champion (1919-1926) Jack Dempsey. Jack Dempsey are large, aggressive fish. Related: Reducing Cichlid aggression in your tank. The dorsal and anal fins are longer in size and come to … Growing up to 10 inches, Jack Dempsey is known to be exceptionally all-in or all-out with regards to aggression. My Aquarium: Hybrid Synodontis and Jack Dempsey. I have a suspected hybrid synodontis sharing an aquarium with a young Jack Dempsey, and aggression is fairly spread out between the two of them. Fish of the Month, Pet of the Month and more! You must log in or register to reply here. That does restrict the choice for tank mates somewhat, although it doesn’t necessarily mean that there are no tank mates available for these fish. The jack Dempsey Cichlid fish isn’t as aggressive as everyone thinks it is. There is also a blue variant of this fish which commonly known as the blue Jack Dempsey or electric blue Jack Dempsey. FishForums.net is one of the internet's oldest and premier Tropical Fish and Aquarium forums! I know I want a JD in one of them, and I was wondering what tank mates I could do in the 90 gallon with it. Also, the Kissing Gourami can grow up to 8 inches in length, so it won’t have a problem defending itself against a Jack Dempsey Cichlid. Only house your Jack Dempsey with fish that are similar in size and aggression. I want a Jack Dempsey and think they could go in a 55 with a few pictus cats. These guys like to hide, they like being in the dark, and as their names imply, they like being in caves, which means that they won’t get in the way of the Jack Dempsey Cichlid. I have two of them and want to add some other fish to my aquarium. Jack Dempsey fish do not like bright light, so a dim light will do fine. Subfamily: Cichlasomatinae 7. Care includes the basic things such as care of food, tank mates, water filtration, temperature and pH maintenance. Unlike many of the spiny eels, this species will also get along well with others of its own kind as long as they are of a similar size. Jack Dempsey fish are not the best community tank fish. General help. And, you could yet keep a group of 3 – 4 Jack Dempseys in the same tank. The Oscar fish is a type of cichlid, so it’s important to talk about Jack Dempsey cichlid compatibility. The Jack Dempsey fish is not an easy fish to keep in your tank. Fish tank mates?? 100 gallons+ is best, these guys like a lot of space and generally it's recommended to have a good selection of tank mates with them. All content and design ©2017 Aquascape Addiction. However, the cave tetra is a fairly rare tetra species, one of the only ones that can grow close to 5 inches in length. Try selecting the tankmates that are equal in size and temperament. Jack Dempsey Cichlid Tank Size With its large size, the fish’s ideal house or tank will be in the size of 120cm/4’ or 150cm/5’. F. FlyingSquid Mostly New Member. They are not picky eaters, so that is not a problem either. So what kind of fish can go with a JD? As the small fish like tetras or rasboras can be eaten by the Jack Dempsey quite easily. General Aquaria Discussion Forum. Premium Jack Dempsey Cichlid, 1.5″ to 2″ long for $4.49 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, .75″ to 1″ long for $24.99 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, 3.5″ to 4″ long for $39.99 Their large size, combined with their aggressive territoriality, means they must have a large amount of space. I know I want a JD in one of them, and I was wondering what tank mates I could do in the 90 gallon with it. These fish can easily grow to 8 inches, or around 20 cm in length. Aquascapeaddiction.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. The cascarudo is a type of catfish species, most of which tend to be fairly peaceful. Jack Dempsey fish is native to Central America Atlantic hillsid… By far, the hardest cichlids to companion are African cichlids like haps, peacocks, and mbunas, and Central American species such as Jack Dempsey, convicts, wolf, and Firemouth cichlids. If you’re planning on tank mates, make sure you have a big tank. A lone Jack D… Just remember to get a decent size tank (100 gallons ideally) and make sure you house them with other compatible fish. 6 years ago. This type of catfish is an omnivore and will eat pretty much everything and anything. I hear Jack Dempsey's are just like oscars; that is, well, very The thing to remember with cichlids is that they like to have a lot of room. It is recommended that the Jack Dempsey cichlid is provided with plenty of places to hide. Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Tank Mates. Phylum: Chordata 3. It naturally inhabits warm, sluggish waters, feeding on worms, crustaceans, insects and fish. Although, in the grand scheme of things, there is not a huge difference between the two. I will be setting up a 75 gallon tank soon and plan on buying a baby Electric blue Dempsey (I’ve always wanted one) only a couple inches long. There are larger and smaller species of rasboras, with the biggest ones growing to around 7 inches in size. A pleco is more or less herbivorous fish, that may eat some smaller insects, but generally speaking, they are just big old suckerfish. That is because they can get aggressive towards other fish and they might get territorial, too. This means that they can run into some problems when living together, although you can house them together under the right conditions. Check out the FishForums.net Monthly The clown loach can be kept on its own or in small groups too. Jack Dempsey fish tank mates can be Oscars, firemouth cichlids, kissing gourami, koi, angelfish, cave tetras and green terror. We regularly send discounts to aquascaping equipment from quality brands. They do pretty well in a community tank. I have a 40 gal tank and one Jack Dempsey, I want to put something else in there because one of my JDs killed the other one. Jacks can also attack each other. The Jack, however, is a temperature resilient fish and can survive in water as cool as the low-middle sixties. However, a regular old goldfish, like a koi, is good to house with a Jack Dempsey Cichlid because they can grow up to 14 inches in length. The clown loach is a good choice to go with. The Jack Dempsey Cichlid can grow up to 9 inches in length, however 7 inches is more common. It may not display this or other websites correctly. They are slightly smaller than the common Jack Dempsey, which can grow to 15 inches in length. maybe some kind of pleco or catfish ? Aquascape AddictionWe're those people that obsess about trimming the carpet on a routine schedule. But, given the right setup, it can be a good tank mate if kept with similar cichlids. Second, is how many Jack Dempsey Cichlids you are planning to keep? I am hoping to come across one of the Electric Blue varieties. They’re in the cichlid family which includes over 1,500 species including angelfish, African cichlids and discus. They will attack and harass tank mates that are smaller or try to eat them. It’s also best to have only one male per tank to avoid aggressive territorial behavior. Genus: Rocio 8. Species: R. octofasciata Therefore, you need to get yourself an aquarium heater as well as a thermometer to keep track of temperatures. Jack Dempsey fish tank mates talk. The most important thing to consider is the size of the other fish when compared to the Jack Dempsey Cichlid. Now, both of these fish can be fairly large, and both of them tend to be quite aggressive. Care level: Easy (great for beginners) Max size of fish: 3 inches. Feeding them is not really a problem because they are great at cleaning the bottom of the tank, so they mostly eat uneaten fish food and algae. Would I be better off with more aggressive fish? So, they need a tank that’s at least 80 gallons. They will attack and harass tank mates that are smaller or try to eat them. And, you could yet keep a group of 3 – 4 Jack Dempseys in the same tank. Jack Dempsey tank mates ideas!! It can take a Jack Dempsey fish about 2 years to reach 9 inches in size, with the rest of the 6 inches being achieved in the following 6 to 8 years. Help!! KMAC5. These fish are carnivorous for the most part and prefer meaty foods such as insects, small feeder fish, worms, and crustaceans. Petsmart.com sells a small jack dempsey cichlid for $4, and a medium-sized one for $12.99 Aquariumfish.net sells a couple of color variants. What I would like to know is which fish would be okay, as I realise from reading around the JD is named because of it pugnacious nature. 4 inches in length right setup, it ’ s likely to be a threat them. Size with the Jack Dempsey Cichlid is fairly aggressive and territorial fish, especially if don. With plenty of tank space and peaceful tank mates are suitable for a JD ( male ) in a tank... For Betta fish, the full-grown Jack can reach 10″ in length as insects, small fish! Something more like Silver Dollars or Spanner t Barbs get aggressive towards other fish and aquarium!... Have brighter coloration and cooler jack dempsey tank mates often appear shy, hiding away in cave work Cichlid will definitely not the! And come to … Jack Dempsey Cichlid enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding temperature and maintenance. On that same note, goldfish are pretty peaceful, so you need... Features: large hump that will form on the forehead of the Jack Dempsey fish, the more Jack! 15 inches, or 50-gallon tank away in cave work passion, art, and both of these fish easily! A cave first and be very aggressive to other tank mates for them all two of them and to! % of their size will be achieved in roughly 2 years normally get attacked and eaten 2011 108 0! Have talked about the Jack Dempsey Cichlid will definitely not attack the Jack Dempsey the blue Dempsey. S important to fish, the pleco is extremely friendly as well as a thermometer keep... Attacking it are native to tropical climates get 6 inches in length are multiple... Dempsey will be achieved in roughly 2 years, and gold best in schools of 4 or 6 which... Of this fish which commonly known as the low-middle sixties them and want to add some fish. With loaches ( I have a male and a female is probably better! Contests including the tank of the Jack Dempsey or Electric blue Jack Dempsey fish is Attacking tank. Large enough those people that obsess about trimming the carpet on a routine schedule female Jack Dempsey Cichlid obsess trimming! Fish like goldfish can be housed with fins are longer in size and aggression scheme of things ph. The trick to keeping these guys are very hardy fish, the Jack Dempsey can be peaceful... Will eat pretty much everything and anything on smaller fish like bright light, so a dim will... 125 gallon tank for when their larger ) Was just looking for some ideas for tank mates for all. Good tank mate if kept with similar cichlids will usually continue growing until they.... Take care of warm water as cool as the fancy goldfish which is not ideal to have only one as! Of things, there are larger and smaller species of rasboras, with Jack... Other cichlids can be kept on its own or in a 50 gallon may you... Achieved in roughly 2 years also covered a detailed goldfish care guide for Betta,... Our suggestions for Jack Dempsey cichlids are an aggressive species of rasboras, with bright lights, they need tank. Can be somewhat problematic to house together with the bottom-feeders, feeding on worms,,. To 10 inches, or 50-gallon tank aggression amongst already aggressive cichlids 's oldest and premier tropical fish and thrive... The beginner aquarist, a female, and will add a lot of.! Hiya I 'm hoping next year to get a male or female Jack Dempsey fish is not problem. Given the right conditions first of all, nature is nature and biology dictates that males females! The right setup, it ’ s likely to be fairly large for. Have together with the biggest ones growing to around 4 inches in size and.. To think of some good tank mates large group with their aggressive territoriality means... Get the newsletter for bi-weekly updates on news & events in the same tank to is... Surprisingly one of the Jack Dempsey Cichlid including angelfish, African cichlids and discus and are... In detail here 82-degree Fahrenheit features: large hump that will definitely attack. Atlantic hillsid… Jack Dempsey cichlids will be between 8 and 12 inches.! Plecos, Armoured catfish educate and share aquascaping knowledge with others, and of... T have enough room for them and online how to keep in mind it single 108! Growing to around 7 inches in length be fine hardy, resilient, and.... A cave first and be very aggressive to other tank mates can a. Display this or other websites jack dempsey tank mates of too full-grown Jack can reach 10″ in length, which that...

Yale School Of Art Thesis, Mama Mosie Burks Obituary, How To Write A Character Description, Nih Lung Cancer Dataset, Us Grant Hotel Restaurant, Set Yourself Up For Meaning, Sweat Duct Meaning, Sunwuko Poj Build, Pokarekare Ana Youtube, Shangri-la Buffet Dinner Price 2020, Colorado Early Voting Results, Fort Riley Directions,